Security Essentials on Google Play
The Android app store, known as Google Play, is a veritable maze of millions of applications of different shapes and sizes, serving virtually every purpose known to man. Google has a relaxed app distribution policy, which allows both companies and individual developers to develop apps and make them available for download at the Google Play store.
While this encourages enhanced participation and improves the overall quality of the apps available by not placing restrictions on enthusiastic coders with excellent skills, this is also a double edged sword. Companies and individuals who have an ulterior motive of spreading viruses or stealing sensitive user information get a lot of leeway to carry out these motives in these circumstances. Also, the proliferation of third-party app stores makes it very difficult to keep track of apps and their contents.
In an effort to help out users with this problem, the latest version of Norton Mobile Security, developed by Symantec, includes an extensive threat assessment database of over 4 million Android apps, collected from different application marketplaces in the Android platform.
App Store Blues
Generally Android apps help provide an enriching user experience though helpful and innovative apps that saves time and efforts or plainly entertain you. However some apps present on the Android market place also carry dangerous malware that pose a threat to your mobile security.
- Some apps can read confidential user information, including SMS messages, contacts and email lists, and even the photos from a user’s smartphone camera.
- Another common type of nuisance comes in the form of advertisements, found mostly in free apps where developers use these to generate revenue.
- There are also apps which silently install other applications when they are installed.
Enter Norton Mobile Security
Android users have every right to know about and guard themselves against these threats. With that in mind, Norton Mobile Security crawls and checks more than 200 Android app stores daily, in the process downloading and scanning in excess of 10,000 apps. It scans these apps firstly for malware, and then also for other threats including threats to privacy. It also keeps a record if an app is known to show too many ads, or show them in a way that can be a nuisance to the user.
For users who have Norton Mobile Security installed on their smartphones, the app downloading experience can now proceed in a safer and more secure manner. Some benefits offered by this powerful security measure include the below:
- Whenever a user downloads an app which exists in the Norton database, it gives the user a comprehensive threat assessment for that app, complete with an assessment of how satisfying the app usage experience is.
- It guards against malware, and also protects users from code that steals phone data.
- It is a comprehensive security suite that protects your device as well as your apps from thefts, loss, viruses and spyware.
While some other mobile protection apps can scan apps on the fly for threat assessment, the database of over 4 million scanned Android apps gives Norton Mobile Security a unique edge over the competition and is a must have tool for Android smartphone users.